Becker Friedman Institute
for Research in Economics
The University of Chicago

Research. Insights. Impact. Advancing the Legacy of Chicago Economics.

Christina Romer

Class of 1957-Garff B. Wilson Professor of Economics
University of California, Berkeley
Visiting Scholar
11/10/14 11/14/14

Christina Romer is the Class of 1957-Garff B. Wilson Professor of Economics at the University of California, Berkeley, and is an expert in the fields of economic history and macroeconomics. Her recent work has examined the effect of fiscal policy on economic growth. Her most recent working paper, "Transfer Payments and the Macroeconomy: The Effects of Social Security Benefit Changes, 1952-1991," argues that historical increases in Social Security transfers have had a larger immediate, but ultimately less persistent effect on consumption than exogenous tax changes.

Romer has been awarded for her significant contributions to the field: she is a recipient of Berkeley's Distinguished Teaching Award, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship, and the Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship in recognition of her outstanding scholarship and contributions to the field. Romer is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts of Sciences.

From 2009 to 2010, Romer served as chair of the President's Council of Economic Advisors under President Barack Obama. Before joining the faculty at Berkeley in 1988, she served as an assistant professor at the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University. She is currently the codirector of the Program in Monetary Economics of the National Bureau of Economic Research. She was a regular contributor to the New York Times' Economic View Column, worked as a contributing editor to Bloomberg Television, and has served on the editorial boards of the American Economic Journal, the Review of Economics and Statistics, and the Journal of Economic History. 

The professor obtained her undergraduate education from the College of William and Mary in 1981. She went on to earn her PhD in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1985.