Newly minted economics PhDs can immerse themselves in vital economic inquiry as a Becker Friedman Institute Research Fellow.
The institute offers prestigious postdoctoral positions to applicants to recent graduates of doctoral programs who demonstrate the ability to generate outstanding research in economics. These fellowships offer the best and brightest young economists rare opportunities to explore broad interests and build rigorous analytical skills in our vibrant and collaborative economics community.
These positions offer:
- the freedom to explore promising lines of inquiry without teaching responsibilities
- time to expand your research horizons and try creative new approaches
- generous research funding
- monthly interactive sessions or dinners with faculty and former Research Fellows, allowing for informal discussions of work in progress and exchanges of ideas
- frequent opportunities to connect and collaborate with institute visitors and faculty across departments and disciplines
- opportunities to organize topical research conferences and host visiting scholars
- participation in UChicago’s stimulating economics workshops
One-year research opportunities will be awarded to promising scholars who have completed their doctorate within the past year. Two-year positions may also be available for exceptional candidates in the final year of their doctoral studies.
Research Fellows will be uniquely positioned to leverage the rich collaborative environment and unparalleled resources of the University of Chicago to pursue original work on significant questions in economics.
The institute welcomes nominations of candidates for these positions on an ongoing basis. Candidates should be nominated by a faculty member who has overseen their studies.