The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics serves as a hub for cutting-edge analysis and research across the entire University of Chicago economics community, uniting researchers from the Booth School of Business, the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, the Harris School of Public Policy, and the Law School in an unparalleled effort to uncover new ways of thinking about economics.
Initiatives & Centers
Through research grants, fellowship programs, and research initiatives that bring together UChicago scholars around common themes, BFI supports the highest caliber research.
- Big Data Initiative
- Chicago Experiments Initiative
- Development Economics Initiative
- Health Economics Initiative
- Industrial Organization Initiative
- Initiative for the Study of Gender in the Economy
- International Economics Initiative
- Macroeconomic Research Initiative
- Political Economics Initiative
- Price Theory Initiative
- Ronzetti Initiative for the Study of Labor Markets
BFI is an intellectual destination for the world’s best scholars in economics and related fields. We bring researchers together across disciplines and departments to share perspectives that spark new ideas and collaborations.
BFI events showcase leading voices in academia, economic policy, business, and the media. Our robust agenda of academic conferences, workshops, and public events are globally recognized for the quality of discussion they inspire.
Effective Policy Communication: Targets versus Instruments
Learn more about BFI’s work with scholars, students, and media.
Stay up-to-date on BFI news, events, research, and more.