The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) at the University of Chicago invites students at the University of Chicago interested in economics to apply for posted summer internship opportunities and/or propose to BFI staff an internship program for funding to support an unpaid summer position in the public or nonprofit sector. Students may receive a stipend of $5,000 from BFI for a selected, 10-week internship.
In all, BFI supports both graduate and undergraduate students through BFI’s sponsored internship programs – the Kapani Metcalf Internship Program for Undergraduate Economics Students, the Brickell Metcalf Internship Program, and the BFI Summer Internship Program.
Examples of past internships supported by BFI include:
- World Bank, Office of the US Executive Director
- Los Angeles Mayor’s Office, Office of Budget and Innovation
- The Hamilton Project at Brookings
- The White House’s Executive Office of the President, The Council of Economic Advisers
- Research Assistants for professors in the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, the Booth School of Business, the Harris School of Public Policy, and the Law School.
Students interested in pursuing a 2022 summer internship can apply for current opportunities or propose external internship opportunities that fit their specific interests and apply their economic background.
Applications for 2023 Internships are Open
BFI will support the selected summer internship candidates with payment or stipend for their summer position. Available positions will be posted on Handshake and/or GRADGargoyle. These opportunities will include Research Assistant positions with faculty at the University of Chicago, as well as external internships across the country.
For students who apply to existing opportunities posted online, the organizational sponsor will make the final selection. We anticipate a highly competitive process.
- NEW: Metcalf Field Research Associate (Kampala, Uganda) – Emanuele Colonnelli
- NEW: Results For America Summer Internship 2023 – External Internship
- NEW: Metcalf Project Management Research Assistant – UChicago Crime Lab and Education Lab
- NEW: Metcalf Analytics Research Assistant – UChicago Crime Lab and Education Lab
- Kapani Metcalf Summer Research Assistant – Economic Innovation Group (EIG) – External Internship
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Bankruptcy & Corporate Law – Anthony Casey
- Metcalf SummerResearch Assistant, Behavioral Insights and Parenting Lab
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Cryptocurrencies – Quentin Vandeweyer
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Demographic Change & Fertility – Anup Malani
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Econometrics & Asymmetry – Guillaume Pouliot
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Health Externalities & Animal Production – Eyal Frank
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Occupational Inequality – Steven Durlauf
- Metcalf Summer Research Assistant, Tax Policy & Real Estate – Scott Nelson
Limited Funding Available for External Internships
If you have secured a 2023 unpaid or underpaid summer internship in the public or nonprofit sector relevant to your economic studies, BFI welcomes a proposal for funding. Please fill out the form below by March 31, 2023. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis. For students who propose their own internship opportunity to BFI, a committee will review the proposal along with the criteria to decide which proposals are funded.
For more information or questions, please contact email@example.com.