BFI offers prestigious postdoctoral positions to recent graduates of doctoral programs who demonstrate the ability to generate outstanding research in economics. This fellowship program offers the best and brightest early-career economists rare opportunities to explore broad interests and build rigorous analytical skills in our vibrant and collaborative economics community.
One-year research opportunities will be awarded to promising scholars who are finishing their final year of doctoral studies or who have completed their doctorate within the past year. Two-year positions may also be available for exceptional candidates.
These programs are designed to offer the freedom to explore promising lines of inquiry without teaching responsibilities. Fellows receive generous research funding, and enjoy the time and opportunities to interact with faculty and visitors, while leveraging the rich collaborative environment and unparalleled resources of the University of Chicago. It is expected that fellows will pursue original work on significant questions in economics during their residency.
Early Career Faculty Fellows
BFI offers a new opportunity for early career faculty in the third or fourth year of postgraduate work from other institutions to spend a year on sabbatical at the University of Chicago to pursue research in the intellectually rich environment of the University of Chicago. Selected faculty are awarded half of their salary during their sabbatical year as part of the Early Career Faculty Fellows program.
BFI is seeking scholars of exceptional ability, originality, and resourcefulness for this high-caliber program.
These positions offer:
- The freedom to explore promising lines of inquiry without teaching responsibilities
- Time to expand your research horizons and try creative new approaches
- Generous research funding
- Monthly interactive sessions or dinners with faculty and former Research Fellows, allowing for informal discussions of work in progress and exchanges of ideas
- Frequent opportunities to connect and collaborate with institute visitors and faculty across departments and disciplines
- Opportunities to organize topical research conferences and host visiting scholars
- Participation in UChicago’s stimulating economics workshops
- Saieh Family Fellows in Economics will be uniquely positioned to leverage the rich collaborative environment and unparalleled resources of the University of Chicago to pursue original work on significant questions in economics.