Pascal Noel joined Chicago Booth as a Neubauer Family Assistant Professor of Finance in 2017. His research interests include household finance, public finance, macroeconomics, real estate, and behavioral economics. His current research uses bank account and credit bureau data to explore the effect of mortgage debt reduction on household consumption and default decisions as well as the evolution of consumer finances during unemployment. His research was awarded the AQR Top Finance Graduate Award and the...
Related Working Papers
- Jul 27, 2020Why Do Borrowers Default on Mortgages? A New Method For Causal Attribution
- Jul 21, 2020Initial Impacts of the Pandemic on Consumer Behavior: Evidence from Linked Income, Spending, and Savings Data
- May 14, 2020US Unemployment Insurance Replacement Rates During the Pandemic
- Apr 21, 2020Wealth, Race, and Consumption Smoothing of Typical Income Shocks
- May 22, 2019Consumer Spending During Unemployment: Positive and Normative Implications
1 of 1
- Jun 9, 2020Episode 8: Rethinking the Jobless Benefits Boost
- Jun 4, 2020Don’t end expanded unemployment insurance: Improve it
- Jun 1, 2020Key Economic Facts About COVID-19
- May 13, 2020The Unemployment Insurance Calculator
1 of 1
- Aug 12, 2020Funding for $300-a-Week Unemployment Benefits Could Run Out in Six Weeks
- Aug 6, 2020Cutting unemployment benefits would hamper recovery: study
- Aug 6, 2020The controversial $600 unemployment aid debate, explained
- Aug 5, 2020Lapse in Extra Unemployment Benefits to Hurt U.S. Recovery, Economists Say
- Aug 4, 2020The myth of unemployment benefits depressing work
- Aug 3, 2020The media still hasn’t learned to corner Trump’s lackeys
- Jul 30, 2020The Extra $600 Jobless Benefit Helped the Economy More Than It Hurt. Restore It Now.
- Jul 30, 2020The argument for cutting the $600 unemployment benefit doesn’t add up
- Jul 29, 2020Is $600 a Week in Extra Unemployment Aid Deterring People From Seeking Work?
- Jul 29, 2020Cutting the $600 unemployment benefit could hurt the recovery, economists say
- Jul 29, 2020$600 Federal Unemployment Benefit At Risk: Here’s Where The Negotiations Stand
- Jul 27, 2020$600 A Week: Poverty Remedy Or Job Slayer?
- Jul 24, 2020Coronavirus stimulus: GOP plan for unemployment benefits hits snag over ‘mechanical issues’
- Jul 23, 2020The $600 Weekly Unemployment Benefits And Federal Eviction Ban Expected To End. Now What?
- Jul 22, 2020Coronavirus stimulus: GOP floats lowering extra unemployment insurance to $100 from $600
- Jul 22, 2020If Congress Cuts Jobless Benefits, ‘It Would Be a Disaster’
- Jul 21, 2020Extra $600 in unemployment benefits doesn’t keep people from working, analysis finds
- Jul 21, 2020The Finance 202: Millions of Americans face financial shock as benefits set to lapse in days
- Jul 21, 2020Don’t just kill off zombie jobs, create better ones
- Jul 21, 2020End of $600 Unemployment Bonus Could Push Millions Past the Brink
- Jul 19, 2020As $600-a-Week Jobless Aid Nears End, Congress Faces a Quandary
- Jul 17, 2020Adding $600 to weekly jobless pay is found to be an economic tonic.
- Jul 14, 2020Cutoff in extra unemployment aid may hurt 2020 battleground states the most
- Jul 13, 2020Unemployment benefits in next stimulus package: Here’s what we know
- Jul 13, 2020For Congress, rancor and politics overshadow consequential coronavirus relief
- Jul 11, 2020US heads for fiscal cliff as stimulus fades
- Jul 8, 2020Two-thirds of laid off workers eligible for benefits that exceed their wages
- Jul 6, 2020$600 Federal Unemployment Checks To Be Extended?
- Jul 5, 2020How to Give Workers a Raise Without Employers Paying for It
- Jun 29, 2020A Cash Cliff Spells Trouble for U.S. Unemployed, and Everyone Else
- Jun 24, 2020Businesses: Extra unemployment money makes it hard to find workers
- Jun 24, 2020Extra $600 in unemployment ends next month as millions of Americans remain out of work
- Jun 17, 2020The federal $600 unemployment benefit ends July 31. What’s next?
- Jun 17, 2020Extra $600 in weekly unemployment benefits runs out next month. Here’s how to prepare
- Jun 15, 2020Two-Thirds of Jobless Workers Make More in Unemployment Than They Did at Work
- Jun 15, 202067% of Jobless Workers Get More in Unemployment Than They Earned
- Jun 13, 2020$600 unemployment benefits are ‘life-saving’ for this waiter: ‘I’m right at the edge’
- Jun 12, 2020Don’t End Expanded Unemployment Insurance: Improve It (Op-Ed)
- Jun 11, 2020Coronavirus stimulus: Will the extra unemployment benefits get extended?
- Jun 10, 2020Some Americans finally get a living wage — while unemployed
- Jun 6, 2020Analysis: Disposable income in April ‘largest monthly increase on record’
- Jun 4, 2020The extra $600 in weekly unemployment benefits ends July 31, but Democratic lawmakers want it extended
- Jun 2, 2020More $1,200 checks? Maybe $2,000 a month? The stimulus proposals that could put more money in your wallet
- Jun 2, 2020Senate to consider House bill easing coronavirus PPP restrictions ‘soon,’ McConnell says
- Jun 2, 2020White House mulls more coronavirus relief: Here’s what it could include
- Jun 1, 2020The End Of The Extra $600 Weekly Unemployment Benefits Threatens Rent Payments
- May 29, 2020Kudlow says White House wants a back-to-work bonus for unemployed Americans
- May 29, 2020Debate over $600 in jobless aid to intensify as claims rise
- May 29, 2020White House, Congress discuss ‘return to work’ of $450 a week
- May 28, 2020Bosses say $600 coronavirus unemployment boost makes reopening harder. Some workers ‘are making more money than they’ve ever made by not working right now.’
- May 26, 2020News Brief: Jobless Benefits, Voter Registration, School Budgets
- May 26, 2020Many Are Earning More In Unemployment, Making Return To Work Hard
- May 26, 2020Congress needs a fix for the unintended consequences of its unemployment relief
- May 26, 2020No ‘dole’ for America: How to recover from COVID-19
- May 22, 2020“I Am Only Earning $300 A Week”: Here’s What People Are Making For Essential Work
- May 21, 2020Employment Disincentives at Work
- May 21, 20202.4 million Americans filed jobless claims last week, bringing nine-week total to 38.6 million
- May 19, 2020Many low-wage workers earn more on unemployment than in their former jobs
- May 18, 2020‘You Wouldn’t Want to Bet Against the American Economy’
- May 15, 2020Many Americans Are Getting More Money From Unemployment Than They Were From Their Jobs
1 of 1